Diploma type and program volume:90 ESTC credits
Higher educational establishment: Pavlo Tychyna Uman State Pedagogical University
Institution under accreditation: Ministry of Education and Science of UkraineNational Agency for Ensuring Quality of Higher Education
Accreditation period: The program is implemented in 2016, accredited for 10 years. License. Series НД-ІV №2479788
Program level: FQ – ЕНЕА – first cycle, QF-LLL – 6 level, НРК – 7 level
The program aim: Preparation of historians with a deep fundamental knowledge, skills of multidisciplinary historical research, competitive specialist able to make his activity on the basis of projecting, creative approach, partnership in communication and ensuring the link between historical science and social consciousness in scientific and educational activities.
The program characteristics:
Subject field,Field of training: History, interdisciplinary; field of study – history, “studying – examine” principle is in the basis of the educational process, implementation of which involves the full development of research skills by implementing research seminar led by Professor - a specialist in a particular field of historical knowledge, to discuss the problems of students research and enrichment, participation in the implementation of research programs.
The focus of the program: general /special: Focusing on interdisciplinary content of the master's program, which provides the introduction of the original courses of studying history, historical and civilization development of the peoples of Europe (ethno-national, identity, immigration, government formation process, socio-political and economic transformation) in conjunction with such basic subjects as philosophy of history and methodology of historical research etc.
Program focusing: The development of complex of general and specific competencies needed for skilled researchers that expand scientific outlook and ability to conduct methodological analysis and critical understanding of modern science achievements; allow to create their own concept of didactic system projecting in teaching activities; apply the tools and technologies of social and intercultural interaction; mutual understanding in a dialogue with others in the framework of cooperation and co-creation.
Program peculiarities: The program develops perspectives of both European and world history, deep knowledge and critical approach to national and regional historiography. Developing of spatial, thematic and diachronic aspects of the history from the Middle Ages to the present.
Employment and further education
Employment: A position of a historian and researcher, consultant on history issues; research assistant in history; history lecturer of higher educational establishment; history teacher in secondary schools, worker of research and public institutions, state and local authorities bodies, the media
Education continuation : The ability to study under the program of the third cycle in the field of knowledge, which is consistent with the received Master's degree, the opportunity to teach, access to specialized research in history.
Teaching style and methodology
Approaches to teaching and training: The general style of learning – student-centered, active, receive professional and specialized competencies provided by a comprehensive combination of compulsory subjects and subjects of specialization, research practices and certification. To implement the program, students must pass the research practice, write and successfully defend a master’s degree thesis (volume 75-90 pages), which is funded much of the time for writing and defense.
Assessment system: Oral and written examinations, presentations, assistantship practice, final examination on world history or the history of Ukraine and final qualification work.
General cultural and humanitarian – the ability to absorb and use the complex knowledge of world and national culture; be involved in the culture through a process of spiritual communication and feelings; absorb the culture in co-creation; produce behavior models focused on human values.
Civic competence – the ability of a human actively, responsibly and effectively implement civil rights and responsibilities for the development of a democratic civil society, a harmonious combination of personal interests with the needs of society and participate in the functioning of democratic institutions.
Language and communication – mastering of native and foreign languages, modern means of communication and the fundamentals of computer literacy to ensure effective information support of scientific research, enabling of multidisciplinary and professional communications.
Interpersonal competence – the ability to communicate, teamwork, self-criticism, self-discipline, the use of different codes and means of communication.
Research competence – the ability to use scientific tools (define research objectives, select the information to justify the methodology) for theoretical and experimental research in educational and professional activities.
Competence in social relations – the ability of the individual flexibly orient in the ever-changing social conditions and effectively cooperate with the social environment.
Organizational – the ability to form a structural model of the personal management (to take the initiative, to develop strategies, to optimize the time spent on various forms of work, intellectual independence and critical awareness).
Managerial competence – the ability to manage in accordance with the standards of quality based on the needs and interests of the target groups.
Competence in teamwork – the ability to cooperate and integrate in the pursuit of goals with other people, agencies, organizations and actively participate in team work, regardless of background knowledge and views on the defined tasks.
Competence in innovation and improvement sphere – the ability to the practical application of new ideas, suggestions, educational practices to improve purposeful, continuous and self-organized learning.
Historiographic and source study competence – understanding of placement, principles of selection, application historiographical heritage and archival documents for the reconstruction of the political and cultural history in Ukrainian and global contexts, for a comprehensive study of historical, socio-political, state, social and cultural aspects of the formation and life activity of the world societies.
Interdisciplinary – the ability to use interdisciplinary approaches for conducting comparative studies and generalizations about the nature of ethnic and state processes, the presence of common and different in the world history.
Methodological – knowledge of the laws of scientific, social and professional thinking, mastering of complex, integrative, historical, dynamic, situational, and systemic approaches to scientific analysis, the ability to use the methods of historical research.
Information – the ability to obraine knowledge of different communication flows, work with sources of historical information, the use of high standards of text analysis.
Axiological – the ability to formulate and evaluate the versions of historical events in accordance with universal values of a certain time and a certain group of people.
Logical – the ability to define and apply theoretical concepts, provision, concept for analysis and explanations of historical facts, events, processes, use complex of scientific definitions to solve scientific problems.
Competence of historical memory – the ability to ideological self-determination, conscious attitude to historical memory as a part of the cultural capital, the formation of social and moral position of the individual.
Subject-historical competence – knowledge discovery and understanding of the scientific bases of a thematic area, research methodology of historical process at the national, European and global contexts.
Projective competence – the ability to transforming of teaching and research activities based on forecasting, planning, projecting and modeling phenomena, processes and systems, ability to develop projects and manage the quality of the work.
Personal competence – the desire to self-development and self-improvement in scientific and educational activities, awareness of their own abilities, the capacity for reflection and self-analyses.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student shows knowledge and understanding of:
• Theories of historical process, stages and methods of historical research, the social functions of historical consciousness, the place and role of historical knowledge in modern society.
• The content of major trends and schools of modern history, the main problems in the development of modern historiography and modern humanities impact on historiographical process.
• Basic theoretical and methodological aspects of oral discourse of historical research in space of the past constructing.
• Specificity of philosophical knowledge, basic range of philosophical problems, principles of philosophical approach to learning.
• Main works of local and foreign historians on topical issues of the history of Ukrainian statehood.
• International relations and foreign policy of the world's leading period of recent history, the most important problems of the history of international relations and new trends in their development in the post-bipolar world and globalization processes.
• Essence, features and stages of integration processes in Europe, institutional and legal fundamentals of the European Union.
• The features of creation, activity of a variety of regional and inter-regional international organizations.
• Stages of Ukrainian ethnicity development, its regional variations and the formation of Ukrainian foreign communities in the world.
• The specifics of education as a cultural phenomenon and a social institution in its historical, and socio-cultural dynamics.
• General terms of the system of legal regulation of education in Ukraine.
• Features and content of educational process in higher educational establishment.
• Methods of improving speech technique as a means of transferring knowledge and skills.
• Essence, history, origin, classification, structure and interdependence of modern didactic creative learning technologies in higher education.
A student shows the ability to:
• Characterize the existing paradigm of the history of Ukrainian statehood, its conditionality and sociodynamics against the backdrop of global state forming processes.
• Orient in international politics, geopolitical conditions, to analyze social phenomena and generalize the political experience.
• Analyze the legal and institutional dimensions of cooperation between Ukraine and the EU, identify prospects and consequences of modern integration processes and place them in Ukraine.
• Identify relevant research tasks, collect the necessary information for its solution, formulate scientifically valid conclusions, to present the activity results.
• Arrange the conducting of empirical sociological research, apply the appropriate to purpose and objectives methods of collecting primary sociological material.
• Apply scientific criticism to the analysis of researchers views, to make generalizations about their theoretical and methodological level of research papers on history.
• Professionally develop scientific hypothesis based on the available source material.
• Use professionally oriented knowledge, abilities and practical skills in basic sections to study ethnology for ethnic phenomena and processes research.
• Make the Ukrainian ethno-psychological characteristics, characterize the course of ethnic processes in Ukraine and predict their development.
• Analyze Ukrainian history through the theory of the Big Frontier, identify the main features of the history and culture of Ukrainian Cossacks and compare them to the known world analogues.
• Search for information in a foreign language for the task, collect and analyze data needed to resolve conditionally professional tasks; present foreign language information of a professional character in the form of report.
• Use professionally oriented knowledge and practical skills to solve theoretical and practical problems in the field of history.
A student shows the readiness to:
• Social interactions, take an active civil position and make conscious choice in terms of today's political pluralism.
• Professional conduct independent historical research, develop thematic project by the method of oral history.
• Apply scientific worldview, philosophical culture of thought and knowledge.
• Apply knowledge of history and ethnology for reconstruction of individual elements and rituals of traditional culture.
• Identify tolerance in communication.
• Implementation of developing, coordinating, administrative functions of university teacher, the capacity for self-development and self-improvement.
• Comply with legal and ethical requirements in the academic and professional activities.
• To intellectual understanding and practical application of the historical experience of the development of state and law in professional activities.
• Use computer technology, the technology distance learning, module and tutor training system, technology of situational training (case-method), research projects and technology of training in cooperation as instruments of knowledge.
• Create your own concept of didactic system projecting.
General training cycle
ГП1.1.01 Business Foreign Language
ГП1.1.02 Philosophy of History
1.2 Core training
ФП 1.2.01 Methodology of History
ФП 1.2.02 Historiography of the World History
ФП 1.2.03 Academic Rhetoric
ФП 1.2.04 Modern World Historiography
ФП 1.2.05 Cultural and Historical Development of World Civilizations
ФП 1.2.06 History of International Relations
ФП 1.2.07 History of Ukrainian Diaspora
ІІ Professional training cycle
2.1 Psychological and pedagogical training
ППП 2.1.01 Pedagogy of Higher Educational Establishments
ППП 2.1.02 Psychology of Higher Educational Establishments
ППП 2.1.03 Seminar for Masters
2.2 Scientific and Subject Training
НПП2.2.01 History of Ukrainian Statehood
НПП2.2.02 History of State and Law of Foreign Countries
НПП 2.2.03 Methodology of Teaching Historical Subjects in Higher Educational Establishments
ІІІ Subjects of a free choice of a student
ВВ 1.01 History of International Organizations
ВВ 1.02 Ukrainian Cossacks and Its Analogues
ВВ 1.03 History of European Integration
ВВ 1.04 History of Archaeological Science
ВВ 1.05 History of European Mentality
ВВ 1.06 History of Legal and Political Doctrine
ВВ 1.07 History of the Modern World
ВВ 2.01 History of Law Enforcement Bodies of Ukraine
ВВ 2.02 Military History of Ukraine
ВВ 2.03 National Movement in Ukraine
ВВ 2.04 Ukrainian Ethnology
ВВ 2.05 Civilization History of Ukraine
ВВ 2.06 History of Religions in Ukraine
ВВ 2.07 Oral History of Ukraine